Friday, March 18, 2011

What's in a Name

Alright, so I was named after my parental great-grandmother. I've never really considered what my name means but it's super common. I often drop the middle part because it reminds me of when my mom would be yelling at me from inside the house whenever I got into trouble. Rest assured that it wasn't that often when that happened (yea right). When I've introduced myself, people instantly come up with a nickname. I'm not fond of nicknames, in fact, I completely abhor them. Mary, Ma Lou, Mari, on and on, no me gusta ninguno. My name's short enough as it is, it doesn't need to have an alternate.     

What makes it worse is all the songs and sayings that contain my name. When Santana came out with that 'Maria, Maria' song, I never heard the end of it. Tambien, you wouldn't realize how many times I've heard 'Ay Maria, que punteria'. Which to be honest, I don't even know what that means.

 Anyways....that's not the point I was really trying to make. I've never researched as to what my name means and without even trying, I figured out what it meant. And of all places to figure it out, at a local Wal-Mart. Apparently my name means a mat for pictures. How exciting. Others have names that mean honeybee or some other interesting item. Not mine. Nimodo. What makes my name special is the woman who wore it way before I was born. According to my dad, my great-grandmother was a strong, funny, and intelligent woman. Believe me, I wear my name proudly but I was still surprised to see what my name meant. Oh well.

Direct translation: I'm a mat for squares....great...

No comments: