Thursday, March 17, 2011

Piñatas, Canicas, and Breakdancing

Life is so complicated nowadays. It used to be simpler. Back in the day, instead of eletronics, we'd find ways to entertain ourselves outside. Playing canicas was a favorite past time. I was never good at it because I was never able to hit another player's marble outta the circle. Still, I'd spend hours sitting outside on the dirt watching my brothers and primos play against my dad. Believe me the competition would get good.
 
el primo midway into his breaking segment

For some weird reason, I guess it was 'in' at the time, my cousins and uncles would spend time trying to out do each other with their breakdancing. It'd be fun to see who did better than the other. We'd spend hours laughing and trying to mimic each other's moves. I was about five or six (1987-88) and I remember doing the robot in my grandma's kitchen and having everyone cheering me on. Then I'd lie on the floor with my feet up in the air and have my dad spin me so I'd look like that breakdancing Gremlin from the movie. I'm tempted to post a clip but I'm not gonna do that to myself...no way.


Of course, las piñatas, were always a good excuse to be outside. The above pic is of a birthday party for my lil brother and me. I guess I was about five, he was about three. Since our birthdays are at the end of September, my dad has always insisted on a Halloween theme. Hence our deep love for all spooky things. Anyways, as I was looking through our family pics, I realized we had some really awesome piñatas. There was one of Woody the Woodpecker, Mickey Mouse, and the Smurfs. The bandana to cover the hitter's eyes, the palo needed to smack the goodies outta the piñata, and the anxious crowd of kids awaiting their turn....it all made the 80s so enjoyable for me.   

It kinda stings a lil seeing pics like these. The one constant thing in all these pics is that the family's all together. It ain't the same anymore. Of course, everyone's on their own journeys and has their own responsibilities so it would be kinda hard to get everyone together again. Good thing we have the pics and the memories and the possibility of one day having a reunion to reminise about los tiempos de ayer.

Si, estoy segura que el dia si se va llegar.

No comments: