Sunday, March 27, 2011

Kid Games



I'm a person who embraces the simplicity of life. Whereas years ago, my weekends would be spent partying it up through the streets of Laredo,  now I spend my weekends at my dad's. This is the scene: he's making the carñe asada, my brothers and I are sitting outside my grandma's house listening to the 60s hits on his Sirius radio, and the whole time is spent catching up with the now and remembering the then.

Recently, la barrita escondida came up. It's a game we used to play on my grandma's porch. It was like the hot/cold game except we were searching for la barrita. My father would pick a stick off of any near-by tree, tear off all its leaves and tell us that we were going to be looking for this specific stick. He'd hide it and then we'd take off in search of it. Our only guidance would be him telling us whether we were hot or cold. It was an extremely simple game, but we'd spend hours looking for la barrita. What I remember the most was the excitement and the laughter in the air.

 Back in the day, the luxuries we were afforded were the opportunity to have Pizza Hut every other Friday while sitting down to watch the cartoon specials with the family. Oh well...the times, they are a-changin' ...but not always for the best.

No comments: