Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Late Night Love

Last night, I was talking to a friend while he was driving home and he asked me whether I remembered a radio show called the Late Night Love show. I started cracking up as memories of those nights, when I was in middle/high school, started to flood in.

I remember that radio show back when 98.1FM was still Energy 98.1. I'd tune in every night listening to hear all the endearing dedications of love. I'd anxiously wait to hear the ones that were directed at me...I can tell you there weren't many, or any at all for that matter. I'd still be there, listening to "I just wanted to tell Steven that I love him a lot and that I'm sorry for what I did" or "I just wanted to tell my ruka that I love her a lot and that I'm super happy with her". No matter what the content of the message, the sheer gesture of calling in was fascinating to me. The advice portion of the show was also priceless.

At work, I asked a friend whether she'd listen to that show. She started laughing and said that she'd also listen in, queriendo cortarse las venas con una oja de lechuga. I'm glad I wasn't the only one 'suffering'.

I never did call in. I had a lil bit too much pride to actually go as far as going on air and declaring my love for a guy. I called the radio station once to request Erasure's, Always. Now, every time I hear that song, I'm transported back to those innocent nights, where I'd lay next to my radio and dream about the time I'd get an on air dedication....aaaah to be naive again.

No comments: