Monday, April 23, 2012

Random Truth

Having my own apt for the past year has been the first time I've ever lived by myself. I had always lived with my family up until I moved out with the ex. Since the big move, it's been a learning experience for mija and me. Take for instance a recent dilemma in my household.

The shower's drainage had started to slow down a couple of weeks ago. I kinda ignored it, hoping it'd fix itself. How? I dunno but I'm sure it's happened before. Well, it just ended up getting worse. Duh. The soap residue would make the tub all slimy and gross and I had to scrub it on a daily basis. I thought a wire hanger would help clear up the situation. The only thing was that I didn't have a wire hanger. That mommy dearest movie kinda freaked me out. I also kept forgetting to ask my dad whether he had one so I kept dealing with the super slow draining tub.

Until I went to Target, where I ran into the Turbo Snake.


I'd seen the infomercials where the problem would be fixed in a jiffy. I thought, eh what the hell. So when I got back to my apt, I figured I'd tackle the problem head on. Pos, I found that the head of the snake didn't fit in through the drainage hole (absolutely no pun intended). Then I  noticed the screen to the drain had a screw. With my handy, dandy butter knife, I unscrewed the screen and ta-dah! I found there was no need for the snake at all. I just had to take out all the gunk that was easily within reach with my hand. FYI...the gunk was some pretty gross stuff. I could've made a wig with all the hair I pulled out. A really nasty wig, but a wig nonetheless.

It was a proud moment when I let the hot water run and the water drained smoothly. It was one of those 'I am woman, hear me roar' type of deals. When it comes to academics, I'm smart. I can get it done. But when it comes to street smarts, I'm slow...real slow.

But I was able to clear up my shower drain. Me. Thank you, thank you.

2 comments:

Que Fregados said...

YAY you!! You know, I had one of these as a door prize for a women's group. You should have seen everyone fighting over it, it was the most popular gift there. I always wondered if it worked or not. Guess the answer is - it depends?

Furniture in Life said...

Hmm, it really does depend. In my case, it wasn't all that handy. I imagine if the problem had been worse, perhaps it might have been a life saver.

Still, it's a pretty cool gadget to have.:)