Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter 2012

The day's over and the holiday was very well spent. The family has always managed to spend it together and most of the time it's always been at my father's home. We're not really the kind to head over to the lake or a park. Partially because we already have certain traditions set and partially because we're really introverts that prefer to avoid large crowds.
drive thru and save
After last night's super late escapade, the family was still set to meet up early at Dad's house for the morning Easter egg hunt. On the route I took home, I managed to pass by the Easter Drive Thru. Last year's post on it still brings the blog a lot of hits....again, because they're searching for Mami Chula's but end up finding something totally different. But I was happy to see the Easter drive thru was back again this year.
simplicity, simplicity, simplicity....I got her the one on the right
The holiday started with the token Easter baskets, in which my daughter received a total of three. Funny thing was, she didn't seem all that interested in them...cuz she was ready to start the hunt for the cascarones. I had already hidden some but before we ventured outside to see her in action, my brothers asked my father to hide some for us. My father smirked and agreed to the idea. See, we're all still kids at heart and given any chance to act like a kid, you best bet that we're gonna embrace it and run. So there Dad went, hiding eggs that would for sure be hard to find. There's been plenty of years when we end up finding eggs in October and November.
the competitive streak starts at a very young age
When we were finally free to go search for our treasure, we left the easiest ones for my daughter and focused on finding the ones Dad had hidden. Once they were all found, the breaking wars began. It all started with breaking on heads, then went into breaking in shirts, and finally breaking in pants. When all the eggs were broken, all of us (with the exception of Dad and mija) had confetti and egg shells in places one should never have such things. There were no feelings of anger because we knew all conflicts would be settled soon.
our ammunition lasted longer than theirs
This was the first year we decided to have a water balloon fight. The idea was that there'd be teams and each team would be in charge of getting their own balloons ready. Well, it turned into a boys vs girls battle. What my sisters-in-law and I lacked in strength and accuracy, we made up for in sheer determination to kick my brothers' butts. The war was short and painful (those things hurt!) and in the end there was no real loser. We were soaking wet and had a blast.
included this random pic just so you have an idea of how my family rolls...
The expected carne asade was next. Nothing all too special about that, except that we all sat down outside to eat together as a family. And then came another war...I guess it was a day of severe competition in our household...a canica battle.
we're all sore losers so they play to win
My father would sit outside with us for hours playing this exact game when we were kids. He was also the one that thought that gifting my daughter marbles and toy soldiers would be a perfect idea. Well, before mija got to use them, the tios and grandad got to try them out. There were two games going on at the same time and I really felt like I was eight again. I tried to play a game against one of my brothers and lost. Eh, I was never good at the game anyways.

And the night ended with a Frisbee game over at the civic center parking lot. I didn't participate in that one, since I don't know how to throw a Frisbee but I still sat there enjoying the game.

So to say that I had a great Easter would be putting it mildly. I loved it. Being around family, having fun, and being able to enjoy the company of people who you know loves you dearly and supports your every move is an amazing blessing to have.

I sincerely hope everyone spent it well. Now I'm getting some rest.

Hasta la proxima.

3 comments:

Alex said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DeLaredo said...

Sounds like a real fun time during Easter Sunday. However, you HAVE to learn how to throw a Frisbee.

Furniture in Life said...

Mr. BTB: The Civic Center's been our playground for yeeears. And yes, just three more weeks....I think I can, I think I can...

DeLaredo: Nambre, that technique's hard to master. Believe me, I've tried but have failed miserably. Nimodo, I can live with it.