Sunday, April 29, 2012

Neighborhood Store

Since I can remember, my barrio has had Mama Luz. It has saved us from having to take trips to the local Super S and Circle K for our munchies. But what makes Mama Luz special is that it offers so much more than just Cheetos and cokes.


Before I go on and on, I only included one pic of the store for a reason. I wanted to take pics of the inside but I'm sure the store owners would feel uncomfortable. The neighborhood's kinda changed and I'm sure they're weary of visitors coming in with cameras. Making them uncomfortable is also the last I'd wanna do. The owners have known my family for yeeaaars. They know each and every one of us. I'm not exaggerating when I say that my youngest brother probably walks to the store at least once a day. 

Back in the day I, along with the primos, would walk on over with 27 cents in their pockets to pick up a Continental Cola. It was the only thing that would quench our thirst after a basketball game at the Leyendecker playground. There were plenty of times when I'd walk those cement floors barefoot, marveling at how cold the floor was even in the middle of the swealtering summer heat. 

When were kids, the store's snacks called our names. As adults, it was everything else that we needed that called our attention. There's a wall inside the store that looks like it belongs at Dr. Ike's. If there's ever been a need for nails, screws, electrical fixings, plumbing materials, and other stuff like that, we've managed to find it there. It's also been our emergency pit stop for diapers, wipes, baby food, and I think I even found a deodorant there at some point.

The store's been there for over twenty years. The name comes from one of the owner's mother. I love the place, not only cuz it's close by, but cuz we have a history. Forget that the prices are kinda expensive (le da competition a Super S) but that's forgiven because of the smile and greeting we receive when we walk in.

For those who are on the west side and wanna stop for a soda, visit Mama Luz. But fyi, the cokes aren't 27 cents anymore. 

3 comments:

Alex said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Furniture in Life said...

Constantinople is my street!

Imagine having to learn how to spell that in Head-Start...sheesh!

DeLaredo said...

I don't have any earthly idea where this store is at. My next trip to your part of town will include a stop at this Laredo landmark. A que te pagabas unas cokes with cheetos?