Thursday, April 5, 2012

Best Toy Ever!!

During a recent conversation with Dad, we were discussing possible toy ideas for my daughter's Easter basket. Of course Dad said to keep it simple because otherwise, she wouldn't appreciate anything. That's when the question came up: what is the best toy we've ever had?

Back in the mid 80s, when bare feet were the norm, streets were unpaved, and cable was a luxury...my brothers and I would spend hours outside in our grandmother's yard. As I've written before, we'd play with sticks and our imagination until one day we were gifted this...

photo courtesy of Google
An INCH WORM!!! How cool was this?! We'd take turns riding around the patio on our neon green worm. The fun we had with this toy was endless. The concept was pretty simple. It has no lights, no gadgets, no technology, nada. You just sat on it and basically rode it. In reality, you were just bouncing yourself around.

What happened to these toys? I'm not sure if there's a recent version of the inch worm, I haven't researched it (big surprise) but it wouldn't be the same.

I'm glad we at least had one. I miss the old toys. The simple ones where you had to be outside to use them, like the aluminum version of the Red Ryder wagon. I was always burning my butt on that thing cuz it'd be left outside.

Have you noticed? I think I'm spending too much time with Dad; I'm starting to go backwards than forwards. Oh well. Times were better back then, I think.

Then again, ignorance is bliss, right?

Well here's my salute to the inch worm. What a great ride.

No comments: