Monday, August 29, 2011

It's Daaaaaaamn Hot!!

Summer is almost over...almost, right? Nights like these make me forget that I live in Laredo and that there are only two seasons in this town. Hot as hell and not that hot. I should be used to this by now, having lived here for most of my life, but I'm just not.

I've lived three hours South and it's not as hot as here. In the evening, you can feel a breeze no matter where you might find yourself in the Valley. I've also lived in Idaho. Seasons actually exist there! Even during the summer, there will be some nights when you have to wear a sweater cuz it can get kinda nippy. It's been a while since my last visit over there. Things might have changed, what with this global warming going around, but Laredo is freakin' hot.

According to my dad, we've gotten used to the luxury of having air conditioners readily available. Back in the hay-day, the temperature wasn't much different between the inside a house and outside. I guess your body would get used to the weather and going outside wouldn't be as much of a shock as it is now. I disagree with dear ol' dad, though. I say it's hotter today than it was back when we were little. I haven't researched it but I'm pretty sure there's some science out there that proves me right.

A while back, La Guera del Norte, wrote a piece about how she started using a sun visor in her car. I too shared her sentiment that visors were more often used by an older generation and weren't really necessary by the younger crowd. Uh, I've recently started using that thing too. It's amazing the change in temp when that thing's in place. Now I don't burn my hands on the steering wheel. Don't get me wrong, it's still scalding hot, it's just not that scalding hot. Like Ms. del Norte, I too have gotten burned by the belt buckle thing. The sun visor is now my friend.


Oh well, I ain't complaining, I'm just saying. I'm looking forward to the fall and winter. Well, whatever fall and winter is in Laredo. Until then, I'm gonna make sure not to leave anymore unopened soda cans in my car. Recently, I had left one in my cup holder. Well, this is what I found when I returned to my car after a full day's work.
it didn't stand a chance against the Laredo heat
I've heard of cans exploding in the freezer but cans popping from the heat? Hasta eso, it didn't really burst cuz there was no splatter anywhere. I dunno, just might have to research it, but now I know: use the sun visor and don't leave anymore soda cans in the car.

Hang in there Laredoans...the worst is almost over.

No comments: