Thursday, September 1, 2011

Laredo's Infamous Beer Run

My blog is fairly PG-13. Sure a couple of entries have pushed the censors a bit but for the most part, it's a fairly boring site. Therefore, I find it kinda funny when my blog gets hits from people googling the drive-thru: Mami Chula's. 
it might not be like Cheers where they know your name BUT they know what you want

If you've been following my blog (it's totally okay if you haven't) back in April I posted up a piece on an Easter drive-thru that I ran into on Saunders. I jokingly referred to it as Mami Chula's competition. So now, when people search for that respectful establishment, they run into my random entry on bunny piƱatas and Easter baskets. Nada que ver with the drive-thru that has caused the city so much controversy. I'm sure they're totally letdown with what they end up finding on my wimpy blog. Sorry, I ain't gonna be posting up their music video or pics. I'll leave that to other hardworking bloggers to showcase.

While on the subject of that famed drive-thru, a friend recently told me about his first visit. A little piece of needed info before the story: my friend works for a business that provides a variety of services to the youth in the community. He's a respectable man, but like most curious beings, he wanted to find out firsthand what the whole hoopla was about this beer run.

He got in line and waited for his turn, all the while, seeing the ladies work (dance). When he finally drove up to one of the ladies, he asked for the beverage of his choice and the girl asked him what the logo on his shirt stood for. Apparently he had gone to play a game of basketball and had worn a t-shirt with his business' logo on it. He explained a lil about what he did: work with kids and teens on helping them deal with a variety of issues. The girl then exclaimed, "Oh my God! That's what I want to do! I'd love to work with kids and help them out!"

Had this conversation taken place elsewhere, my friend wouldn't have found it awkward BUT this young lady was wearing nothing but a teeny-tiny bikini top and an almost-invisible g-string. The girl continued, "I so want to go back to school to study that. I find it so cool. Do you think you could help me find a job there?" My friend really didn't know what to say. All his reply was, "Well, I dunno if they're hiring right now but you can check at anytime for position openings." The girl replied, "I'm gonna give you my number and please, please call me tomorrow. I really want to work with kids. I want to help them deal with their problems!" My friend didn't know what else to do but take her number. He still couldn't comprehend what had just taken place. He paid for his goods and before driving off, the girl again exclaimed her eagerness to help the troubled youth of Laredo. Then she sashayed to the other car and went back to work. 

You see Laredo?! You can't be quick to judge these ladies that work in these establishments. They have goals, dreams, aspirations, hopes of having a brighter future. It's just a means to an end like those other hard-working women that maneuver steel poles for a living. They're people, just like you and me!

Ok, I'm being a bit sarcastic there. I dunno. I'd say having Mami Chula's Drive-Thru be your previous employer might not make you the best candidate to work with kids and teens. Then again, it might make you seem more open-minded and give the impression that you can get down to their level...

Whatever it may be, tip of the hat to those ladies working underneath those neon lights. It takes a tough woman to tend to those thirsty (for lack of a better word) individuals. Admit it people, if there wasn't a high demand for those beer runs, they would've gone down the toilet a long time ago and they're still going strong...city ordinance or not.

Oh, if you're wondering, my friend didn't end up calling that girl back. Apparently there were no current openings at his job for her. Maybe she'll have more luck next year...when's she hung up her bikini top and thong for good.

1 comment:

Que Fregados said...

And after she earns a degree in the field and gets some solid work experience. That she worked at a Mami Chula's wouldn't bother me as much if she had the education & experience and showed maturity in an interview.

FYI - the post that gets loads of hits on my little blog is a search for Selena. It takes them to the post of Selena being channeled and the medium writing a book using "her words".