Saturday, April 2, 2011

Life's Little Surprises

Life's funny sometimes. Take for instance today: with it being April Fool's day and all, I was on high alert. I wasn't gonna end up being anyone's fool. I was doing well until I returned to the office after lunch. I heard a 'Happy Birthday' come from the receptionist and I just laughed and politely told her that it wasn't my birthday. I also asked why she thought it was my bday, and that's when I noticed the flowers behind her. I proceeded to congratulate her on the bouquet (while internally fighting back a twang of jealously) when she exclaimed that the gorgeous arrangement was mine. After about five minutes of arguing with her and making her understand that I couldn't possibly have received roses (from who?!) I read the card and realized that they were, in fact, mine. Wow.

they smelled even better than they looked

Every dark cloud has its silver lining; when a door is closed, a window is always opened; so on and so forth...those sayings didn't have meaning until today. The sheer act of receiving something like flowers is so common, I know, but to me it's not. I didn't receive them for any special occasion, it was a 'just because' gesture. It was a difficult week for me. It brought along some unexpected, and unwelcome, surprises. It tore apart some perceptions that I thought were right. But it ended with a very sweet surprise.

I'm looking forward to the future. I saw today that the possibility of happiness and purity is still thriving in the world. Things are gonna be different. I can feel it.

No comments: