Saturday, April 9, 2011

More from the Little League

Today was my first practice with the softball team. It felt good to be out there throwing, catching, and hitting...and huffing and puffing. Let's just say I'm a bit outta shape. I had a great time though. I had forgotten how much fun playing a sport was.

I'm so rusty, whatever talent I possessed before is looong gone. I was scared to attack the ground balls cuz those suckers like to aim for your face. I was a bit apprehensive about catching the fly balls cuz my head sometimes gets in the way. I wasn't all too good at the batting; it seems I get a bit ahead of myself. In the end, I learned that my tomboy ways of my childhood actually did serve a purpose: I ain't scared to look like a nincompoop.

I do have to go and buy myself my own glove, though. I'm gonna work on getting it soft so it's ready for game day. I'm gonna put a ball in the glove, tie it closed with a whole bunch of rubber bands, and put the whole thing under my mattress so it can start getting shaped. Then I'm gonna bend it and twist it until it loses its newness. I know of this because my brothers used to do it back when they played baseball and I thought they were crazy for doing such things. Ha, how things come around...

I'm gonna have fun, no matter the outcome of the games. Our team is the only one that has female players; most of the teams we'll be playing with are all male. I'm not holding my breath for a championship but we sure will have some fun. Suffice it to say that I already broke a nail and I have a bruise on the palm of my hand from catching a fly ball. I didn't even know that was possible. I'm guessing it's one of the many things I'm gonna be learning these upcoming months. I sure ain't gonna be bored anymore.


I ain't gonna be sitting on the bleachers this time...

No comments: