Sunday, June 19, 2011

Public Displays of Affection

I had to attend some event for work a couple of days ago. I'm all for these field trips cuz it means that I have a reason to not do my regular duties. Then again, sometimes I dread them because it means that I'm probably gonna be falling asleep at some point. Normally, I'm alert and attentive. I ask pertinent questions and usually take over the seminar (uh-huh, sure); but my sleep patterns have been so off that sleep has become somewhat of an estranged friend.

It's hard to take discreet pics while in a meeting..but they weren't being all that discreet either
p.s. my apologies to my friend...I couldn't take her out of the pic
Anyways, so, I'm there listening to the presenter while fighting to keep my eyes open when I look at the table in front of me and see this lady basically caressing a man's back. At first, I thought they were close co-workers. Maybe she was giving him a pat on the back. While I continued to stare at them-sorry, it was more entertaining than the presenter-I see the lady start giving the man 'piojito'. That's when I realized, they aren't just co-workers. The event lasted six hours and that's how long that massage/groping/piojito session lasted. It started with the lady, then the man reciprocated the favor, then so on and so forth.

I'm not an affectionate person by nature, but I'm not against others expressing their own feelings towards their partner. But the problem here was...this was a business event, in a professional setting. It's not some poetry reading at a local cafe or restaurant. It was just plain weird; but at least it kept me awake and I'm sure some of the information provided was able to creep into my unconscious mind. I just kept wondering how the man wasn't falling asleep with the lady giving him a massage, I was sure falling asleep just watching her do it. Then again, maybe that was the only thing keeping him alert (ahem).

Si, si..to each their own. I just thought it was such a random thing to see at a conference. Much power to the couple.

One another note, I ran into this lil tree while roaming the streets. I didn't think couples still engraved their names into trees. I thought they'd resort more to Facebook, Twitter, or anything involving technology. Somehow, I think an action like actually taking the time to find a sharp object, keeping an eye out to make sure the police aren't around (it's vandalism I'm sure), using arm muscles to carve the names into the trunk is much more meaningful. Here's a toast to young love and all the possibilities that it carries.

You think Jose N Jocey are still together?

No comments: