Saturday, February 12, 2011

Passing Through Duval

This makes me feel sooo much better when traveling alone.
Thursdays are my day for traveling. My destination had, until recently, been restricted to Freer but two other little cities have been added to my journey. I don't mind the drive at all. Aside from the fact that I'm getting paid mileage, I have time to ponder away to my  heart's content. Now, when I head over to Duval county,my first priority is work, but I am afforded my lunch hour to take pics. I'll try my best to capture some of the spectacular views over there but I'm gonna have to do it when the cops aren't around. Small towns can be kinda picky and I don't want to get noticed and be stopped. What with Laredo being a metropolis, I'm sure I stick out like a sore thumb over there (I'm being very sarcastic).

While on the topic, I want to vent about something. I have to travel from Freer to San Diego and TX-44 is the fastest route from point A to point B. While I was there this past Thursday, I realized something: these people drive with a New York City mentality. I don't know why these individuals are rushing around but damn, there were times when I pushed my car to 80 mph (speed limit is 70) in order to avoid being run over by the truck behind me. I say truck because everyone has a truck over there. I guess everyone always has to be at their destination like, yesterday. Aah the joys of being a visitor in small towns. Whatever happened to small town life existing in the slow lane? When did that ever change? 

San Diego, TX City Hall- my friend didn't believe it existed

Benavides, TX- this is the stuff scary movies are made of

Coming up, pics of Freer's famous rattlesnake statue. Remember, if you don't hear from me after Thursday, please go and bail  me out of the Freer jail. You know never how serious small towns can take their beloved reptiles.

No comments: