Sunday, February 20, 2011

Event of the Year

Here are some pics taken at Saturday's event of the year.

The beginning








The end
All in all, we had a good time. I was amazed at the importance some parents put on having their children receive candies, beads, or other stuff given out by the floats. I had an older woman yelling 'Que, te los vas a llevar para la casa or que?" when her granddaughter didn't receive some beads. Another lady behind me was yelling "No ves a mi nina o que? Dale algo!". Yet another person was yelling "Ve y pidele una, mija, te tiene que dar algo". Yet another lady said "Mira que feos son, mija es una nina y no le dan nada!" Having kids run so close to the floats is dangerous and it's annoying for others that are sitting down and trying to enjoy the view. LPD finally got put up a yellow tape barrier for these kids. Aah, it ain't the same as it used to be but I guess that's Laredo for you. Now I understand why my father boycotts the parade. I'm just glad it happens once a year.

No comments: