Friday, February 18, 2011

Laredo's Parade Craze

I darted out of work at 5pm. It's a feat I haven't been able to conquer for quite a while, but I had a very serious reason for leaving my work duties early: I had to go and set up my chairs for the parade tomorrow morning. I sped thru rush hour traffic and picked up the chairs at home. I hit San Bernardo ready to jump outta my car and claim my spot only to find.....there was none to be claimed!
It was 5:10pm and rows and rows of chairs already lined our infamous street. I couldn't believe it. I was heart-broken. Instantly, my parade hopes were starting to diminish. No Clydesdales, no clowns, no low-riders, no marching bands, no grabbing for useless toys, nada, zip.... I started to head back home and saw that dozens and dozens of chairs had been lined up outside a nearby business. They were ready to be rented by desperate parade-goers. So, I stopped and asked how much these spaces went for. Each chair was 4 bucks but only the third and fourth row were available. Front row seats had been reserved since December. Never mind, I told the guy, I just won't attend this year. I came home.
 I was disheartened and annoyed but more than that , I was mad. This is Laredo! A city that prides itself on silly traditions and any reason to get the family together. I resigned myself to accept the realization I was not going to be going to the parade this year. The fact that I live blocks away from the whole she-bang made things even worse. The thought of lying in bed tomorrow morning and listening to the loud music coming the floats and knowing that I wouldn't be seeing them...well suffice it to say it made me feel crappy. SO I decided to make a desperate attempt to fit myself somewhere on San Ber. I didn't care where. We found a spot.
Our seats, braving a night out on San Bernardo. Good luck
Sure, it's right at the beginning of the whole thing but I know that I will be there watching Laredo's best event take place. It's been a roller-coaster day, but in the end, I'll sleep peacefully knowing that my chairs will be waiting for me tomorrow morning. Good night and good luck tomorrow. All I know is that my seats better be there where I left them!

Amazing how Laredoans actually respect others' property


That's it...next year I'm pitchin a tent and spendin the nite

No comments: