Sunday, February 13, 2011

La Boda

Very recently, I accompanied a friend to the wedding reception of a fellow co-worker. As usual, we didn't make it to the church ceremony, but we were sure on time for the shin-dig at the Casa Blanca ballroom. It had been a long time since I'd entered the ballroom. It hadn't changed much. The decorations and color scheme were beautiful. The bride was amazing in her white gown and the groom was handsome in his tuxedo.

Very nice center piece but I dunno how people were gonna take this home

I was having a good time, joking around and talking to our companions when all of a sudden, the party got kinda quiet. I didn't understand what was happening but then I heard it. I heard the music start and I was instantaneously transported back to the summer of 1994 and I was my 12-yr-old self again. "Tenia el corzaon de cristal y se lo fui quebrando de tanto llorar pero una manana sin decirme nada se decidio volar." It was Los Palominos!

Y se pone la gente a bailar

Let me explain my excitement at having seen them live. Back in the day, I was a genuine tejano lover. I used to listen to all the tejano bands: Mazz, La Mafia, La Fiebre, Jaime y los Chamacos, Los Palominos, etc. My Walkman was permanently tuned to 92.7FM. This was before my cousin moved down from Nebraska and showed me just how 'uncool' I was because I liked tejano. After that, I switched my tastes to something that was much more acceptable (Too Short and McLyte).

Mixed drinks can't really capture the essence of tejano music

Hearing Los Palominos play some of their more popular hits was such a treat. A couple of friends had their personal flashbacks and some wanted to cry at just how much life had changed since then. But that's how the cookie crumbles. Still, the night was a darn good one; a lil dancing, a lil drinking, and a lil nostalgia. There can't be nothing wrong with that.

No comments: