Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Labyrinth

I saw the movie back in the early 90s, when it was already out on VHS. I remember sitting on my grandma’s living room floor. My brothers, cousins and I were so into the movie, we didn’t realize that it was mid-summer and we didn’t have a water cooler in the room. We were so fascinated by the puppets, the singing, the characters, the concept…who cared if sweat kept rolling down our faces.

A couple of days back, I ran into the movie on Netflix. I started it, just looking to catch a glimpse of my childhood, when I found myself sitting through the entire movie.The fact that I don't have a sophisticated taste in movies is apparent, but Labyrinth is special. It strokes a chord in my poor, beaten up heart.

I watched it at my brother’s house and he was unwillingly sucked into the viewing as well. When it was over and done with all he could say was, “I just couldn’t keep my eyes off of David Bowie’s crotch. I think it deserved its own movie credit.” When I was little, such a thing completely escaped me. I have to admit, though, that I had a tiny crush on him. Ask me why and I can't really pinpoint what made him so intriguing....might explain my dating history…an issue for another day. Anyways, looking at it now, Bowie’s crotch really was a star in its own right.
come on! he was gorgeous!
A basic plot of the movie can be found here. During the beginning of the movie, there's a line that recently came to mind: "Goblin King, Goblin King, wherever you may be, take this child of mine far away from me." I was having a difficult time  getting my daughter to go to bed and I found myself thinking of that line.  It was the most random thing ever. I hadn't seen the movie in years but for some reason, the flashback just popped up. I didn’t end up saying it. Not necessary cuz I was worried it would really happen but more so cuz I couldn’t remember the darn line. I know, pathetic, but that's the impact Labyrinth left on me.  

So as I sat there, on comfy couches, in a well air-conditioned living room, watching the movie on a 50’ plasma TV, with my daughter by my side, it was a far cry from the scene back in the day but the feeling was the same. I was surrounded with family, laughing at all the parts we laughed at back then, and we embraced the joy of letting go of reality for a couple of hours. Albeit, Bowie’s crotch caught our attention a bit more than before, but in the end it was a couple of hours well spent. 

Ah, the 90s were exquisite.

No comments: