Saturday, October 15, 2011

Tortillas and the Rangers

Due to the hustle and bustle of the week, I have not only neglected my blog, but I have failed to make my weekly batch of homemade tortillas! Oh the horror of it all. Yes, I am ashamed to admit that my daughter has had to eat tortillas bought from the store. No wonder children are having the problems they're facing nowadays. Darn those long work hours and those freakishly long, suspense ridden, Rangers games!

What? You find it hard to believe that I can make homemade tortillas? Well, I'm sure you wouldn't be the first to think such a thing. Even my own mom wouldn't think I'd be possible of perfecting the tortilla mixture. Of course, my tortillas come out looking more like countries instead of the perfect circles Mom makes, but the taste is the same. Mine are unique....at least that's what I tell my daughter whenever she asks about the shape.
Since I haven't made tortillas lately, I've resorted to buying a package of those ready-to-cook fake tortillas from the tienda. I'm sure each person has their own favorite brand but I tend to go for La Exquisita. The name just sounds so delicate, so sweet. Aside from that, their catch phrase is awesome: Just like Mama Makes. Of course, it's a lie cuz my mama's taste waaaaay better, but for store bought, these are of superior quality.
mi manita, doing a very bad impression of DeLaredo's hairy hand, at a Rangers' game this past summer
Nimodo, that's what I get for jumping on the Rangers' bandwagon. I fully accept the fact that I haven't been a Rangers fan since birth. My dad's not much of a fan now, but he appreciates the game and does tune in every once in a while. He even got to see a couple of games pitched by Nolan Ryan. He bought us those pennant fan things, which my brothers had in their rooms forever. But for me, I've been a closet fan for a while. This past summer, after attending a couple of games, I became a bona fide Rangers fan. Good thing I was able to get a good seat on that darn wagon, otherwise I'm sure I would've gotten run over.

It's gonna be a sports filled weekend for me. Rangers play later on today and I'm praying they win it. There's no need to get to a game 7. As it is, I had secretly wished they wouldn't win game 6 so I could get to watch them play. I mean, who in the world comes up with a 3:19pm game time?! Don't they know people work? I tried to DVR the last game but there was no point in that since I continually checked the status of the game on my phone. Well, at least I got my wish, now I'm just hoping they win. Otherwise I'm sure I'm in for a scolding from those hardcore Rangers fans.

Ah, and my dear ol' Cowboys play Sunday against the Patriots. Oh well. The Patriots. Brady has been having a stellar year, as always, but I have faith in my 'boys. I have faith that they'll screw it up and probably lose....but I'm still gonna catch the game and cheer and boo at all the right times. I'm even gonna secretly hope they win. Hey, weirder things have happened.    
                                                                                         
                           

Oh, and I know someone's probably spotted these items, but Wal-Mart's provided me with some pretty cool pics. Does the Cowboys' franchise really support these things? Tackle Towels? They're regular plain, crummy paper towels which just happen to have a Cowboys football player on the packaging. Take off the player and you'll have the regular generic brand for $.75, instead of the $1.25 for Tackle Towels. And if you've ever wanted to grill like a Cowboy, they have their official briquets on sale. Grilling Cowboys Style. Hmm, first off, I hardly believe the Cowboys would use these briquets. Second, I'm sure they'd hire cooks and chefs to do the grilling for them. But if anyone's actually bought and used this carbon, let us know how it went. Did it really taste like the Cowboys style?

We'll be waiting with bated breath on the consumer report.  

No comments: