Sunday, October 16, 2011

Change of Plans

I had plans for my Saturday. I was gonna catch the Rangers game with a couple of friends at a local hangout joint, and end the night on a good note. Well, apparently I had forgotten about one very important event: my brother's wrestling match
See, one of my brothers wrestles with the Laredo Wrestling Alliance (LWA). He's been doing it for a while and it's one of his biggest passions. So when I received his text Saturday morning telling me about his match, I had to switch my plans around in order to go and support him. 
I wonder what it feels like to be in there......
My brother has always been a huge wrestling fan. I mean, HUGE. When we were younger, he would practice his special moves on my teddy bears. Most of my bears didn't have their beady eyes cuz of him. There was the time when he was wrestling with my other brother on my parents' brand-new bed. They ended up breaking one of the beams....it wasn't so new anymore. When he got a little older, say high school, he and a couple of friends would get together and wrestle. He videotaped a whole bunch of those matches and they would do some pretty crazy stuff. They jumped off balconies, off ladders, body slam each other onto mattresses, practice their entrances, figure out their character 'look'....they were a dedicated bunch. 

My father always hoped he was going through a phase. I'm sure Dad freaked out when even I was following that Monday night wrestling show. Yes, there was a point when I figured it'd be easier to join my brothers in their TV viewing than argue with them about changing the channel. I have to admit, the wrestling matches were entertaining, the story plots were hilarious, and seeing my brothers focus on something for three hours was amazing. My wrestling brother would dye his hair different colors, he'd grow it out super long, he bought most of his clothes at Hot Topic, he'd work out to make sure his body was in tip-top shape; my brother had his heart set on being a wrestler. Then, slowly but surely, reality set in and he knew he should start focusing on a career. Not to say he couldn't be a wrestler, but it was a dream that was gonna take a huge amount of time and effort....two things he couldn't really afford. So my brother ended up tucking away his dreams of wrestling. 

Well, one day I was checking out Facebook, and some friends had started posting about this wrestling alliance in Laredo. I asked my brother whether he had heard about it, figuring he must already know. He said he didn't and I thought he had left it at that. Nope. Next thing I know, he had already gotten in contact with someone who knew someone and Abra-cadabra....he was in the alliance. Dad wasn't all that happy but was supportive either way. 

I hadn't been able to see him wrestle, due to other insignificant happenings in my life, so Saturday was his night. Sure, I was still checking in on the Rangers score on my phone, but I finally got to see him wrestle. My daughter also got a kick outta seeing him in the ring. She was cheering for him, telling him to get up, even explaining to people that his real name wasn't his stage name. 
1st match: Rudy vs Freak....neither of which are my brothers
I love my brothers dearly, and watching them achieve goals that they've always wanted to pursue gives me a huge sense of pride. Seeing him wrestle was such an awesome experience. I wanted to let everyone know that I was that wrestler's sister. I'll probably get a shirt made, like back when my brothers were in little league; I had a shirt that read F****'s & A****'s Sister

From now on,  his matches will be taking priority over everything else. My daughter started asking when she was gonna get to see  her tio 'fight' again. Next event will be held in Zapata in two weeks. It's gonna be a traveling day for the clan. 

I'm looking forward to it....since the world series will be done and over with by then. Which, by the way, will be including the Rangers! Yes, I did get to see the end of the game. Go, Rangers, Go!!!!! 

And if you haven't attended a LWA event, make the time and effort to go and check one out. It's cheap (five bucks), it's fun, and you're supporting local talent. Big thumbs up to the LWA!!

2 comments:

Que Fregados said...

Saturday was the first match I missed - only because I am deeply sunburned and was sick (darn dehydration!). I've probably met your brother since I not only go to the matches but sometimes to practice too. I am one of their sponsors. Enjoy the next match!

Furniture in Life said...

Hope you're feeling better, Ms.QF. I heard you mentioned when they were thanking their sponsors.

Most definitely looking forward to their upcoming event in Zapata!