Sunday, October 9, 2011

Birthdays, Super S, and Cowboys


A couple of weeks ago, my brother and I celebrated birthdays. Since our special days were during the week, we got together during the weekend to hang out and celebrate the fact that we're getting closer and closer to the dreaded 3-0. Of course, I'm gonna get there first, but that's not the point here. 

Since my lil brother lives in San Antonio, he says he's yet to find a bakery that serves pan dulce like the one from his favorite Laredo panaderia, El Mejor Pan. Btw, if you go over to San Anto looking for pan dulce, they won't know what you're talking about. You have to ask for it by it's politically correct name: Hispanic bread. I'm not kidding; it happened to my dad on one of his visits up North. He even laughed in the lady's face but that's what pan dulce is in San Antonio....Hispanic bread.

Anyways, since my lil brother was visiting, I decided to go and buy him some pan dulce and get him some chocolate milk. I thought about buying a small bottle of chocolate milk but knowing my daughter, she was gonna want some too and then they'd both end up fighting for it. I was forced to make a pit-stop at my local Super S since it was the store closest to me...I didn't go there by choice, believe me

Super S is affectionately known, in my family, as the Stupid S due to a variety of incidents that have transpired with the employees and customers of that market place. But we continue to go cuz we think it's gonna be more convenient instead of heading to H-E-B. Often times, though, we get outta there wishing we had done just that. 

So, I was looking for the cheapest gallon of chocolate milk. I can't stand chocolate so I wasn't being all too picky about the name brand or taste. As long as it wasn't expired, it was more than okay with me. I ended up buying this particular gallon just cuz of the name:
Chocolate Flavored Drink....not milk...
Choco Dream...it sounds fun, catchy, something that probably won't give you diarrhea. I dunno, my brother and lil girl seemed to like it. And it was pretty cheap considering that most of the prices at Super S are astronomically high. Of course, most customers there have the magic card and don't really worry about prices. As for me, I don't get to join the magic-card-club so Choco Dream had to do. 

Super S still smells like it did when I was a kid. Oh, and they have an excellent assortment of beer...well if you like that sorta thing. Go support your local Super S today!

All in all, my brother and I spent our birthdays with the family so we had a great time. Even if the Cowboys did lose, at least we saw them lose together. Y eso que a whole bunch of us bought Cowboy t-shirts just for the occasion. Even my nephew got into the spirit of things:
Cowboys-fans-in-training
It's really a win-win situation when the whole family gets together. Gracias a Dios for another year. 

4 comments:

Alex said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KeyRose said...

Hispanic bread. Gimme a break.

DeLaredo said...

Choco Dream gave me the choco runs.

Furniture in Life said...

@BTB: My dad was definitely in the wrong place. Us, 'west siders' have never even tasted caviar. Btw, wine comes in a box, right?

@Keyrose: I second that sentiment.

@DeLaredo: Thanks so much for sharing.