Sunday, January 30, 2011

Lazy Sundays

I took a trip back to the late 80s, perhaps even the early 90s, and spent the day at my grandma's house. My dad was the one that initiated the flashback by cleaning up grandma's house. I went to check on what my daughter was doing and I found her and my dad watching a cartoon on a TV that, unbelievably, still worked. When the cartoon finished, we put on The Blob, the 1958 version, so that we could watch it the way it should be seen.

Beware of the blob...awesome TV huh?
 There's just something so special about watching a movie on a 19" TV that came from Montgomery Ward back when it was still open. My dad was constantly trying to adjust the tracking in order to see if the squiggly lines would go away. He even brought out the tape cleaner (the one with the drops y todo el pedo) and that helped a little bit. I had forgotten how fast you would get used to the squiggly lines. After a while, I didn't even notice they were there. Now, I had seen The Blob as a kid when it still scared the crap outta me. Seeing it today was bittersweet because I now realize that if the characters had just run a lil faster, they would have gotten away from that ball of slime. I also saw that trying to pass Steve McQueen as a teenager was really, really far-fetched. But, hey, it had worked for me back in the day. The things that escape a child...

The day was well-spent. Had a great time with the family, watched a great movie, and was kept cool by a Galaxy fan that is probably older than my youngest brother. There was no hassling with the AC temp, no cell/house phone ringing, no satellite tv, no nintendos/xbox/playstation crap...it was a day that was created back when life was simple. Yes, today was definitely an awesome day.

Who needs AC? Just get a Galaxy and open the windows.

No comments: