Monday, January 24, 2011

Dad's Teachings

My sister-in-law, my father, and I were recently sitting in the family room watching TV. Some commercial about a beauty product came on. My sis and I didn't say anything because we knew better. Sure enough, he comes up with, "Women bring about their own failure." I smile and look at my sis and sure enough she's wearing the same amused expression as mine. Just to humor my dad, I asked him what he meant by that comment. His rant went something like this:
    
     Women no longer value themselves as unique individuals but want to fit into societal norms. Beauty is not what is shown on the outside but what's held within. Women have lost touch with who they are and now prefer to go on with what everyone says is beautiful. There's so many women (he almost pointed at us) that spend so much money buying products to look younger but that will never make them happy. Women try hard to make themselves look attractive but at the end of the day, end up feeling worse because they will never be able to be what everyone expects them to be.

My sis and I listen intently to his speech until finally he gets up and goes to the kitchen. Then my sis and I burst out laughing. I love my father but he was made for another time period. I am his one and only daughter and I've heard the 'beauty comes from the inside' lecture most of my life. He means well, I can respect that, but times have changed and it's not so simple to go around being au natural. My sisters-in-law have gotten used to it by now. But I know I'm not buying into the beauty hype. I am my own person.

Nope, no beauty-hype-buying here. 



No comments: