Monday, September 26, 2011

You Guuuys!!

I ain’t much of a fan of remakes. I prefer to watch the oldies, no matter how corny or fake they may seem compared to today’s cinematic standards. Then again, I have no taste in movies but I’m perfectly happy like that…hence my choice in this ‘movie review’ I bring you tonight.
btw, I read there was a remake  in the making....biiig surprise
Recently, I had been bugging a variety of people to find me a copy of Monster Squad (1987). No one came through, not that I really had any expectations, soooo I had to do it myself. The way in which I found this copy is irrelevant. I’m just ecstatic to say that I did it aaaalll by muuh-self and it’s a terrific copy.

Last time I had seen Monster Squad had been in the late 80s, perhaps very early 90s. My tio showed my brothers and me this flick and it instantly became a kid favorite. The whole story line, back in the day, was a unique concept. Well, at least to us, it was.

A group of kids, with overactive imaginations, get together to form a monster club. Lo and behold, monsters actually pop up and it’s their quest to save the world from the hands of Dracula. Ta-Da! Yea, the plot wasn’t all that complex but it worked for us back then, and I ain’t ashamed to admit that it kept me entertained when I saw it a couple of nights ago.

I even came to understand where my fondness for Stephen King’s books came from. Within the first couple of minutes into the movie, the main character comes out wearing a t-shirt that states: Stephen King Rules. Wow. Talk about a moment of clarity. Life makes a lil bit more sense now.

A couple of other things that stood out, seeing the movie now as an adult: I now understood what a virgin was (didn’t learn about that till middle school). My brothers totally stole the Mummy’s walk for yeeears. They’d be walking around with a hand clutched to their chest and dragging a foot behind all the friggin’ time. Oh, and  I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Wolfman wear such tight-fitting jeans before or after this movie. I mean, they’re not even torn or stretched out…nada. I think, it even did olWolfy some justice. Aaah, and I came to find that, should I ever need to, kicking a Wolfman in the groin will actually buy me some time to escape (classssic scene).

So there goes my crummy, simple review of a back-in-the-day fav. I even got to share it with my daughter, who totally got a kick outta it. Sure, might be a bit much but now with Spongebob being dangerous to kids her age, I’d say Monster Squad won’t do much harm. For anyone looking for a short flashback to the 80s, check out the movie. It’ll definitely be worth the experience.  

One last thing:

Lately I’ve been on a search for classic horror movies. Don’t get me confused with DeLaredo’s current project terror, I’m doing this more cuz Halloween’s around the corner and I wanna check out old favs. There’s one particular movie that I’ve been searching for. Even googling  hasn’t helped me find the answer (I know, I’m dumbfounded too). It’s a movie about an evil Jack-in-the-Box. It’s not Demonic Toys, since I already looked into that and it’s not the same Jack. The ‘Jack’ was more puppet/human looking and it was after a child (boy or girl I don’t remember). The only real scene I remember is the last part: The child’s in the hospital after escaping from ‘Jack’ and a huge teddy bear is brought to him/her and propped in a corner of the room. Inside the teddy bear, Jack’s hiding and eventually tears outta the bear and….I don’t remember the ending.

Anyone have an idea of which movie I’m talking about, ”can you help an old altar boy  out (high five to whoever figures out what movie that line came out in). 

No comments: