Sunday, November 6, 2011

Two Years

Today marked the two-year anniversary of my grandmother's passing. Time's passed by so darn fast, it feels like just yesterday when I received my father's call.

So much has changed. For the better, for the worst...it is what it is.

I've written about my grandmother over and over before. She's the reason why my family and I are the way we are. We're close, super close. We get together, reminisce about the good ol' days, we sing, we laugh (a lot), we go out to eat at the same restaurants over and over again, we stick close to family, and we understand that friends come and go but family...family will always be the foundation that will help you get through anything in life.

I miss my grandmother dearly. I'd give anything to play her Scrabble again, hear her jokes, or just go and sit with her in her living room and hear her retell what happened on 'Laura'. It's hard visiting her grave site because I still feel the intense need to cry my heart out. I visit her often. When I get out of work early, I'm there. On Sunday mornings, after breakfast with the family, we head over to say hi.

The nice part is, I've dreamt of her. One dream I particularly remember, was right after her funeral, I saw her smiling; she was smiling that warm, loving, reassuring smile signalling me that she was doing just fine. It made me feel a little bit better. And recently, I don't remember the specifics of my dream, but I clearly remember her smiling face. There's no missing my grandmother's smile. She'd brighten your day without even trying.

So it's been two years but the yearning is still the same. The pain isn't as fresh but it's still deeply felt. But underneath it all, my grandmother's lessons, values, and memories strongly live on.

Miss you, Grandma. Love you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the way you always express about family matters... I feel exactly the same about our culture.