Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Geography Awareness Week

Recently I found myself at a local South-side high school and ran into some projects on display. Well, actually, I was trying to exit the school and got lost (it's like a freakin' maze) and ended up finding out that Geography Awareness Week is upon us.

I don't remember ever honoring this week while I was in high school, but I guess it's something made up to make students more aware of their own surroundings. I thought it was a pretty cool idea. These are all projects dedicated to exploring Laredo's beauty and the things that makes my hometown unique.

I took pics of the projects I thought were interesting. These were the ones with actual pictures. Some of the displays had pictures that were taken from the Internet and printed out. Come ON! It's Laredo. It takes fifteen minutes to get anywhere, add a couple of more minutes for rush hours, but it's beyond possible to go to the sites and take pics. Leave those Internet pics for far off exotic places...like San Antonio or McAllen.

Anyways, I learned a couple of things (not really) but did manage to chuckle at a couple of them.

I didn't realize Laredo had so many monuments...I know, I know...shame on me

Dunno...maybe it's meant to be spelled like that...


Nicely decorated poster board...
This board focused on where Laredo's water comes from....in need anyone needed to be reminded...

And my personal fav:


There's so much going on here, it's kinda hard to pinpoint just one thing. It's a quirky board and I greatly enjoyed reading all that the student included. I also didn't realize emoticons were now allowed in projects. Even though the project did have printed out pics, and a couple of misspelled words, it didn't take away from the student's absolute love of the his/her city. My absolute favorite part of the whole project: 

The Rio Grande can never tear Laredo from Nuevo Laredo! NEVER! Mexican cultures run through our veins!(:

Amen! 

No comments: