Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Ay Friend

I ain't picky with titles. It's simple. Co-worker, colleague, acquaintance, brother, sister, mother, father, daughter, son, girlfriend, boyfriend...etc, etc. What about friend?

Definition of friend as provided by Wikipedia:
Friendship is a form of interpersonal relationship generally considered to be closer than association.

I have a pet peeve. It's minor, I guess they could all be minor, really. I'm not much of a fan of being referred to as 'friend'. We've all heard it, especially living so darn close to the border. For example, Hey, friend, que hiciste este weekend? No, it's not the Spanglish that annoys me, it's the way 'friend' is used.

Why you may ask? Cuz it means you're really not the person's friend. It may mean that for that moment, they forgot what your name really was. 'Friend' would be a perfect substitute for that awkward silence before your name pops up in their head. I hear it all the time at work; and it always comes from people that I totally don't (and probably never will) consider a friend.

I know, I'm nit-picking. It's not really worth bringing up now but I'm just saying. In my personal opinion, referring to someone as 'friend' kinda makes the whole relationship extremely superficial. I'm not gonna deny that I've used the word, but it's only in instances where the other person uses it first; and where I don't hold that person in high regard...or I just want to annoy the crap outta them.

There's something meaningful about using a person's name. It was given to them for a reason, therefore, it's meant to be used. How hard is it?

Anyways, mis amigos, that's all I've got for right now. Have a great rest of the week.

1 comment:

Alex said...
This comment has been removed by the author.