Friday, May 20, 2011

My Teenage Soundtrack

It was another late night for me. Again I hit YouTube for solace and decided to take a trip down memory lane (otras ves?!). No se porque pero empecé a buscar videos de cuando tejano era mi amor. Those songs filled my days of when I was an awkward teen trying to fit into some clicka at school. My hair was a fright, my hormones were unbalanced, and my taste in clothing was horrendous. I’d include a picture but why would I wanna scare you. I was unsure of who I was and was constantly searching for my identity (nunca cambia, huh) but I was sure of one thing: I loved my tejano music.
I had so many songs memorized. I got that from my mama. Anytime she’d start cooking, cleaning, or doing those crossword puzzles she loves, the radio would be blasting in the background: La Sombra, Fama, La Fiebre, La Mafia, Grupo Mazz, y hasta Rigo Tovar. The windows would be open and we’d be in the living room dancing and laughing. Laughing mainly because we didn’t know how to dance in the first place. A song we’d have fun with was El Sancho due to the hilarious lyrics and the upbeat rhythm. Juana La Cubana, was another fave cuz of my dad. He’d make fun of one of my tias cuz she was named Juana and he’d dance a jig anytime that song came on. Anywhere else my dad wouldn’t have been caught dead dancing, but at home, he’d do it for our entertainment. Whenever I hear that Juana song flashes of those days jump forward; and we all know that song is a staple at ever birthday party, wedding, quinceañera, random carne asada….I hear it all the time.  
In middle school, a good friend of mine was in love with a girl named Rosa. Constantly, he’d be singing, Un Millon de Rosas, hoping that someday Rosa's affection for him would grow. He even learned to play it on the guitar. Well her affection didn’t grow. The only thing that grew was my annoyance at his pathetic-ness. Aah the sweetness of young love…
Through the years, I stopped listening to that type of music mas que nada por ser chocante. My high school friends didn’t listen to it so I tucked that joy into the dark corner of my closet. When I grew older, and was no longer susceptible to peer-pressure, I brought those dusty old cassettes back out. Good money was spent on those tapes.
Here’s my dedication to the past and what it was. For now, I’ll have my homemade tejano CD on a constant loop in my car. Maybe someday the past will catch up to me. I’m still hoping...
ay ay...

2 comments:

DeLaredo said...

Rigo Tovar? Really? Sweet. Rigo gives me a heavy craving for some Corona beers. JIJI

Furniture In Life said...

I'd say you have to be drunk to enjoy Rigo. Back then, every time I heard 'No Son Palabritas' come on, I wanted to scream. Now, it just makes me yearn for the good ol' days...