Saturday, May 7, 2011

My Reason for Being

There's one woman that makes my world turn. Anytime I need her, she's always there. She's been my doctor, therapist, personal cheerleader, teacher, and my absolute best friend. My mother can best be described in one word: incredible.

My mom and I are twenty years apart. We've managed to get along for most of my life (except a second or two during my rebellious teen years). We were the dynamic duo standing strong against all the testosterone in the house.

We were both raised in homes that consisted mainly of boys. We grew thicker skins than most other girls. I was never pushed to play with dolls or dress up. For one, my mother was scared of dolls and two, she had/has never been much of a girly-girl. I gladly went along with my mother's example. I could climb trees better than my brothers, fearlessly play a rough game of tackle football, pick up bugs without screaming...I wasn't all that far from being a real boy. My mother constantly stressed the importance of being independent. She always told me 'tu puedes sola, mija, nunca dependes de un hombre'. Hence the reasoning as to why I am the way I am today.

My mother and I are so in sync; she has this uncanny ability of knowing when I'm not doing well. Once I stop calling her on a frequent basis, or find stupid excuses to avoid visiting her, she automatically knows that something is not alright. She won't hover or poke. She'll sit on the sidelines, waiting, until I can't take it anymore and I finally give in and tell her what mess I've gotten myself into. Communication with Mom has grown in leaps and bounds since I became an adult. Nothing is off limits, no matter how embarrassing the situation or how stupid my decisions, I tell her everything. Never has she lectured or scolded me for my dumbness, rather she'll give me a knowing look and point me in the right direction.

Through one of the darkest moments of my life, she was waiting for me in the shadows. She knew that at that time, I wasn't willing to accept her help. She understood that I'd have to first hit rock bottom before I could realize that everything she had been telling me from the beginning, had been right. When reality finally caught up with me, she was my strength when I didn't have any of my own. Her words, guidance, and most of all, her love were my lifelines when I thought I wouldn't be able to get through the next day.

I dunno why I was ever selected to be blessed with a woman like my mom. All I can say is that I am extremely lucky to have her in my corner. Hasta la fecha, her 'atta girl' at my softball games reassure me that I have her support and that no matter how ridiculous I look, she'll for sure be there at the next game. Any time I feel down, I know I can head over to her house and leave, at the end of the night, feeling like the burden I carried there magically disappeared. She's the softness to my sarcasm, the reason why I dance at parties, why I can relax, why I can accept other people's point of views, and why I'm easy to talk to. If it weren't for her, I wouldn't be a very pleasant person. Then I'd definitely be mean.


Happy Mother's Day, Mom (even though I know she'll make me read it to her cuz she's not a big fan of reading).

I love you.

No comments: