Monday, December 27, 2010

Oh Danny Boy


Good times with the family at Danny's.
 Danny's Restaurant...good food, good company, good fun. I know that's not their slogan, I honestly dunno what is but I do know one thing: Danny's is big in my family.

I'm not even kidding. My family and I have been eating at Danny's since back when my little brother was in still in diapers, that's been about eighteen years now. Seriously, I'm not even exaggerating. I can't say I've eaten at every Danny's in Laredo (it's constantly growing and I can't keep track of the new places) but there's one I frequent on a weekly basis. The one on San Bernardo has been my family's choice of eatery since back in the day when it was still located where La Roca is now (okay, I know it's not that long ago but it seems like a long time to me).
Now when I say my family, I'm not referring just to my immediate family, I'm referring to my entire family. I can bet you anything you want that at any given day and any given time, there will be a tio, tia, prima, primo, parent, or sibling there. My grandmother loved to go and have biscuits with coffee any time of the day. My uncles and aunts (many of them retired) will go and have breakfast. Others choose to wait for lunch and have the enchiladas that are on special. Yet others will wait to end the day at a booth at Danny's (FYI: the enchiladas are no longer on special after 3pm...I know, I shed a tear too). There was a point when my immediate family and I would visit Danny's at least twice a week. That was back in the day when we all still had time (money) to visit Danny often.

Whether it be high school graduations, college graduations, marriages, proms, holidays, introductions of new bf/gf, or birthdays, Danny's has been the place to celebrate. There is nothing better than having awesome conversation mixed in with the enchilada rojas (my choice of plate since I first started eating there)...life can't really get any better. There's just something about the ambiance in that restaurant or perhaps it's just the memories that are attached to that establishment that makes Danny's a family favorite. There's just nothing that can go wrong in the place. When I walk into the doors of that place, it feels like the comforting embrace of an old friend, someone that knows and understands all that life has put me through. I haven't been able to find that kind of feeling in any other place than my Danny's.

Nowadays, Danny's has been the weekly watering hole for my brothers, mother, and me. Since my parents are divorced, sometimes life gets in the way and we can't keep in contact with my mother as much as we'd like. Now, we've made it a point that every Tuesday or Wednesday we'll have dinner at Danny's with Mom and give each other updates as to what we've been doing. This is the chance when Mom will give us advice or give us her look of disapproval and let us know what we've been doing wrong (we'll always be kids in my mom's eyes). When we have these weekly dinners, it's not just an hour. We can really be there for several hours. We're probably the loudest ones there; laughter is a necessary companion at every single dinner but we've never been thrown out, so I guess that's a sign of acceptance.

So, yes, Danny's holds a very special place in my heart. This restaurant has seen me angry, sad, happy, excited, nervous, and above all content. If for some crazy reason you have never stepped into a Danny's, I recommend you do so. I must warn you though, there may be a chance that you can become addicted. It's well worth it though, Danny's treatment plan is one of a kind, top of the line. It's the best.

No comments: