Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Look Into My Crystal Ball

A month after my high school graduation, my best friend and I found ourselves wandering around downtown Laredo. I don't really know how we got there in the first place. We didn't live close by and we didn't drive at that time. I'd say fate had a hand in it.

What we were looking for? I really don't know. At that time, she was planning on leaving for the Navy and I was going to stay behind and attend the local university. We had one month to hang out and embrace what was left of our childhood. Forever was upon us and we didn't know what was coming.

Perhaps we wanted answers. Maybe we wanted some reassurance that we'd be okay. That's the only way I can explain what we did that night.

random Internet photo
We walked into a psychic shop.

The gentleman we ran into inside was smoking his cigarette, patiently waiting for his next customer to stop by. The smell of the place reminded me of a moldy attic...well, a moldy attic with incense burning in the corner. He shook our hands, and graciously welcomed us in. Upon asking us what we were looking for, my best friend and I almost ran back outside when he quickly reached for her hand. He started reading her palm. Telling her how long she was going to live, when she was going to get married, how long the marriage would last, when her health would fail her, how many kids she was going to have.....We were hooked and followed him to the back of his shop where he held his readings.

We were two extremely naive eighteen-year-olds on the perch of the future and we wanted answers; we wanted some glimpse of tomorrow. I don't remember clearly what he saw in her cards. I know I was fascinated with the images of swords, grim rippers, princesses, and princes on the cards. My best friend sat amazed at hearing all that was on the way.

For my reading, the only thing that I remember was that within a year's time, I was going to be either married or pregnant. Neither of which ever ended up happening. But believe me, I had his predictions running around my head at the oddest of moments that following year. I was relieved when the year marker came and went and I was still childless and single.

After the experience, we left the his shop, going over everything it was that we had been told. We were excited, fascinated, and anxious all at the same time. Life was at its zenith. That night, we went to our respective homes, prayed for forgiveness for what we had done (born into Catholic families, we knew such a thing was so wrong), and embraced the experience for what it had been: the last hoo-rah for two lives jumping into the unknown depths of the future.

Point of the story? There really isn't one. I was just thinking about that experience a while back when I drove past a tarot card reading shop. None of the things we were told that night came true. Basically, we paid 15 bucks for a load of crap. But it was fun. Sure, kinda dark fun, but it's a fond memory I have.

Have I done it since then? Nah. Would I? No. A while back, my mom wanted to go to one of those curanderos and do some magic for me. She wanted me to snap out of my reverie and realize that I needed to leave my ex. Did she do it? As far as I know she didn't. But then again, she used to go and buy those money-bringing candles from those places. Don't judge mi mamita so harshly. She had the best of intentions if she did end up doing it.

If anyone does end up going, do share the results. From the man back in 2001, I'm supposed to be on my fourth child and second marriage by now.

I guess I missed a step somewhere.

No comments: