Sunday, January 22, 2012

Fridays at Dad's

People constantly comment on my sarcasm. Perhaps through writing, it might not that noticeable, but in person, my sarcasm can be a tough pill to swallow. I'm constantly being called mean, rude, cold, and even inconsiderate. Of course I apologize and offer a quick reassurance that I'm like that with everyone. There's not one person that's been able to avoid my razor sharp tongue.

It could be considered a defense mechanism but to be totally honest, it's just part of my personality. As I've said before, my brothers and father are even worse. I'm no competition for them. Whenever we get together and start joking around, I start shooting blanks. I always end up losing....so I can say that I know exactly what my victims mean when they say that it stings.

Where does this thorny characteristic come from? I'd have to say from my paternal grandmother. She always had a come back for everything. But this trait is especially evident in my uncles. I never really noticed just how sarcastic my uncles were until I hung out at my dad's one Friday night.

See, my dad has a tio-get-together every weekend. My uncles bring their guitars, amps, microphones, choice of beverage, and their witty personalities. The main focus of these hangouts is to hold their mini concerts. Their performances usually start with some Beatles, then head into some Rolling Stones, then some Creedence Clearwater and even Jose Alfredo Jimenez for good measure. Ah, and they even write their own songs. And that's where their quick wit and sarcasm is most evident; in the music they come up with.
jam session in the west side
No one is safe when it comes to their bullying. They pick on each other. They make fun of city officials, nation-wide politics, local shenanigans, anything that comes to mind, it's all fair game. There's been many a night that I've sat there, laughing at their bantering and feeling super jealous because I don't stand a chance against them.  But I can say I've learned a thing or two.

Main lesson I've learned: one has to be smart with the quick wits. Words can't come at random and without any basis, because then you don't have any argument. Eventually the joke will fall on you. Words have to be chosen wisely, but one has to be fast with the quips. Otherwise, you'll be left in the dust. I'll still never be competition for my brothers, dad, and uncles. It's a good thing I don't talk to them that often.

So, yes people, there are tons of others with a harsher sense of humor than me. I'm the tamest of the bunch. But believe me, I've started carrying my notepad when my dad has the tios over. I gotta be at the top of my game. And while doing my studying, I'm listening to some pretty awesome music. To say that creativity is something that's hereditary is an understatement. I was born into a family that not only values unity but also cherishes music and writing.

Ya just can't beat that.

By the way, I think the picture below would best capture the tios-get-togethers. Everyone always has their drink with them.

McD's Coke for Tio #1; Schaefer for #2; La Natural Light para numero tres; Diet Coke for Dad
with such eclectic preferences, of course there'd be some fun times to be had

5 comments:

YayaOrchid said...

Just found your blog via QF. Had to let you know I love your writing and the fact that you keep it real. I havent' read to the beginning of your blog, so I'm intrigued by your Blog name FIL. I know there's a reason for it though.

Furniture in Life said...

Thank you so much, YayaOrchid, for your kind comments.

FIY comes from a line in a movie I saw back when I was thinking about starting the blog. The line went something like "I like being a piece of furniture in your weird life."

To be honest, if I had known how important the blog title was, I would've put a little more thought into it. But the title's grown on me.

Hope you continue checking out the blog. Your feedback is always greatly appreciated. :)

YayaOrchid said...

You're quite welcome. I will continue to read your posts. I'll check and see if there's a 'follow' button so I can add you to my blog roll.

Que Fregados said...

Ah, FIL, I know what you mean. The title of my blog came from an old email address I had that was set out of frustration at every name being taken on hotmail. Ha. If I had to do it over... but its already a little late because of the following.

Like Yaya (Hi Yaya!) I do enjoy reading your posts. Best of luck with your male relatives!

DeLaredo said...

Your uncles are brave to drink Natural Light.